Things You Need To Know During Divorce
As you get ready to go through a divorce, there are several key pieces of advice that can make a significant difference in how the divorce will affect you and your children. Rather than listening to the stories of friends and families, turn to a law firm you can trust to provide you with the answers and information you need. I have years of experience serving clients in Collin County, the Dallas Metroplex and throughout North Texas.
What You Should Know
- No one wins a divorce: It is important to have reasonable expectations going into a divorce. No one gets everything. You will save time, money and emotional strain by remaining focused on an efficient resolution.
- Get an attorney you trust and who will give you the information you need: You have important decisions to make that will frame your future. Make sure that you have a lawyer you can trust and who is committed to providing you with the information you need to make the best decision for you and your family.
- Be honest with your attorney: Make sure you are telling your lawyer everything. Hiding information from your lawyer will not help you reach the best outcome possible.
- Don’t forget the details: You will also need to update other legal aspects of your life, including your estate plan. Make sure that your will, trusts and powers of attorney are modified to reflect the change. Also assess how the divorce will affect your taxes.
- Take stock and make copies: Do research and make sure that you understand the family’s finances, including inventorying property and assets. Make copies of important documents and keep tabs on any accounts you hold with your spouse.
- Know your options: Not every case needs to go to court. There are collaborative law options, including mediation, that will allow you to work with your spouse to reach a divorce decree that works for you and your family.
More Questions? Call Me.
At Short Law Firm, PC, I will guide you through all the details and help you make the decisions that are best for you and your children. For more information, contact me online or call my office: 972-813-9959.