A substantial change in circumstances can require changes to the final divorce decree or other family court order. While most terms of a divorce decree are final and cannot be changed, you can request the court to change some terms if you can prove certain things.

A change in custody or visitation may be granted if there has been a substantial change in circumstances (such as abuse, neglect, relocation, etc.) and the change is in the best interests of the child. Depending upon the terms of the divorce, spousal support may be increased, decreased or eliminated due to a significant change in the parties' income or needs, or remarriage of the spouse receiving support.

Child support may be increased or decreased if there is a significant change in either party's income. Child support may be eliminated if there has been a termination of parental rights or adoption of the supported child.

Plano Modification Lawyer — Change Of Custody

At Short Law Firm, PC, our knowledgeable, responsive Plano child support modification lawyers have many years of focused family law experience. We spend the time it takes with you to understand your goals and circumstances, so that we can work hard to obtain your best results. Clients appreciate our positive, helpful and energetic approach in helping them through a difficult time.

In addition to helping you seek modifications of a judgment or order, we can also seek enforcement of an existing court order if your ex-spouse is not living up to his or her obligations. If you wish to enforce or modify a spousal support order, or to learn more about the modification of a custody or child support order, contact us today.